TU Berlin

Student Mobility and International StudentsResidence Permit

stilisierte Kugel mit Schriftzug Internationales International Affairs

Page Content

to Navigation

Residence permit


Non-EU-citizens who want to study longer than 3 months in Germany are required to get a residence permit for study purposes (in case they did not already get a visa that is valid for the whole time of their stay). This applies equally to non-EU-citizens who got an entry visa before coming to Germany (which expires after 3 months) and to those who need no visa to enter the country.

As a non-EU-citizen you must apply for the residence permit for study purposes within 3 months upon your arrival. You do this at the "Ausländerbehörde" (Immigration Office) directly. Should you have any questions, though, you can send an email to or visit my colleagues from the TU Berlin visa advising unit during their office hours in room H51.

You need:
  • Letter of admission or enrollment confirmation (you can download it from your TUB student account)
  • Passport with a long enough period of validity
  • Proof of health insurance
  • 1 biometric passport photo
  • Proof of sufficient financial support (documents that prove you have enough funds to cover the costs of living, e.g. a bank statement, an official letter in which your parents guarantee financial support or a scholarship gran)
  • Application fee of at least €100
You can also apply directly at the authorities:
Address of the Immigration Office for students:
Keplerstr. 2
10589 Berlin

Office hours
Monday & Tuesday     7 am - 2 pm
Wednesday                 only with appointment!
Thursday                    10 am - 6 pm
Friday                         closed
For more information click here!
Under contact you can click on "make an appointment"

Should all your documents be complete and correct you will get the residence permit right away!


Quick Access

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe