TU Berlin

Student Mobility and International StudentsFAQ

stilisierte Kugel mit Schriftzug Internationales International Affairs

Page Content

to Navigation


How do ERASMSU/European and Overseas Students apply for exchange studies at TU Berlin?

Most important criteria is an existing exchange cooperation between TU Berlin and your home university  - without we are not able to accept your application.
Furthermore, you have to be nominated by your home university for the exchange. Only then you can apply as an exchange student through Mobility-Online to TU Berlin’s International Office.
More info about the process is available here.

What kind of documents do I need for my application?

ERASMUS/European Students please check out this application process
Overseas Students please check out this application process

It is not necessary to send any hard or soft copies. The whole application is done online through our appilcation platform Mobility-Online where the documents either have to be uploaded or generated. 

When do I have to apply?

  • Deadline for winter semesters is always June 1st
  • Deadline for summer semesters is always  December 1st

Can I also apply as a free-mover to TU Berlin?

No, unfortunately we can only accept exchange students who apply within the frame of an exchange cooperation.

Do I have to be able to speak German if I want to study at TU Berlin?

Yes, because the majority of courses is being offered in German. Consequently, it is indispensable that you take German classes before embarking on your studies over here. 

ERASMUS students even have to prove German skills on the completed level A2 when applying.

Is TU Berlin offering a pre-semster intensive German program?

Yes, about a month before the semester starts the ZEMS (Zentraleinrichtung Moderne Sprachen - Center for Modern Languages) offers a pre-semester intensive German course for ERASMUS students (starting on B1 level) and for overseas students.

More about it can be found here.

How do I find accommodation?

The dorm situation and the Berlin housing market are getting tighter every year. That is why we advise our students to start looking for affordable housing well in advance. More info about this and some useful links can be found on our housing website.

When should I arrive in Berlin?

If you intend to participate in the pre-semester German course you should arrive shortly before our Early Bird Meeting (beginning of March for summer semesters and beginning of September for winter semesters).
Apart from that you should arrive shortly before our orientation session (beginning of April for summer semesters and beginning of October for winter semesters).  Then you have sufficient time to get through all the formalities, to explore the campus and Berlin and to find suitable housing.

For further info about semester dates please check our dates and deadlines for incoming students.

Where do I go after my arrival in Berlin?

After you settled into your hostel, dorm or shared apartment you should visit us during office hours.

ERASMUS students should go to room H39 and overseas students to room H41b. Here we can answer your most immediate questions and start the enrolment process.

Where can I find the TU Berlin course catalogue?

The course catalogue is available online: www.tu-berlin.de/lsf/

Our user manual for the course catalogue might be helpful.

How much money does a student living in Berlin need?

  • Accommodation 350-500€

  • (Statutory) Health Insurance 90 €
  • Food 160€
  • Clothing 60€
  • Books 40€
  • Miscellaneous 40€
  • Total ~ 890€ per month
  • Semester ticket ~ 200€ (once per semester - covers public transport in Berlin during the semester)

Are exchange students permitted to work whilst in Berlin?

Generally it is possible to work. However, there are certain regulations to be observed: Exchange students are only allowed to work 120 days on full-time basis or 240 days on part-time basis. More info about working can be found here.

Who should I contact with my questions and concerns?

Questions concerning your exchange or about administrative matters:
Administrative Exchange Student Advisors

Academic questions/problems:
Academic Advising Units in the Faculties

Personal matters:
Psychological Counselling Service


Quick Access

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe